ADULT EDUCATION & WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
QCAP’s Adult Education & Workforce Development programs give adults the chance to return to school to learn English and improve their literacy skills, to study for the High School Equivalency Assessment Test (HiSet or GED), and to participate in college and career readiness activities. Small group instruction and an individualized approach create a learning environment that is supportive and successful in assisting students to reach their goals. The program’s highly participatory learning process is enriched by students’ own life experiences. Adult Education staff is committed to providing a supportive setting that focuses on students’ strengths.
English for Speakers of Other Languages and Adult Basic Education classes are funded by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and are free of charge to students. Classes meet from September through June at locations in Quincy. Occasionally classes are offered in the summer. QCAP’s Educational and Career Advisers provide support to help students complete their educational and career goals.
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- ESOL classes are open to adults who need to improve their English language skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening. Classes focus on skills needed to succeed in life, career, and post-secondary education.
- Classes run September to June. Enrollment happens on an open basis until classes are full.
- Classes are currently run using an online or a hybrid (partially in-person, partially online) model. If you do not have a computer, we may be able to lend you one to attend online classes.
- Morning and afternoon class schedules are:
- Morning program: 9:00 AM -12:00 PM, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursday
- Afternoon program: 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays
- Levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 are offered (beginner to advanced). Students are assessed to determine level.
- NEW: We are also offering an “Online ESOL for Parents” option, which meets on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM. This class is a fully online option teaches general ESOL content with a focus on the needs of busy parents.
- ESOL contact: Daphne Chen, email@example.com, 617-657-5386
Adult Basic Education (ABE) – HiSET/GED Classes
- ABE classes are open to adults who did not complete their high school diploma and want to take the HiSET/GED Classes focus on skills needed to pass the HiSET exam and succeed in life, career, and post-secondary education.
- Classes run September to June. Enrollment occurs on an open basis until classes are full.
- Classes are currently run using an online model. If you do not have a computer, we may be able to lend you one to attend online classes.
- Evening class schedules are 6:00 PM -9:00 PM, Mondays and Wednesdays
- 3 levels are offered (Adult Basic Education, Pre-Adult Secondary Education, and Adult Secondary Education). Students are assessed to determine level.
- 4 subjects of the HiSET test covered: English Language Arts (Reading and Writing), Math, Science and Social Studies.
- ABE contact: Margaret Doherty, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-657-5387
College & Career Readiness Activities
- Students in classes have the opportunity to develop a resume and cover letter.
- Mock interviews are offered quarterly by professionals in finance, technology, and human resources to help students practice their interview skills.
- College and career fairs are offered to QCAP students and the community in the fall and spring.
- QCAP is the Outstationing provider for the South Shore region.
- QCAP’s ABE Education & Career Advisor closely coordinates with the MassHire South Shore Career Center at 1515 Hancock Street in Quincy to help current and potential adult education students access services. They assist Career Center staff with intake, assessments, and referrals to local adult education programs and connect Adult Education students who are looking for employment and training opportunities to the Career Center.
- Outstationing contact: Margaret Doherty, email@example.com, 617-657-5387
- MassHire South Shore Career Center: http://www.masshiresouthshorecc.com/