VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE
QCAP’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax help for low- and medium-income residents from late January to early April. Services are by appointment only and require certain eligibility.
- To qualify for free tax preparation, your 2018 household income must be $56,000 or less, or you qualified for QCAP fuel assistance this season. The income limit is per return, so couples filing joint returns must have a combined income of $56,000 or less.
- You must be a full-time resident of Massachusetts.
Services are offered by appointment only from January 24 – April 13, 2019; Thursdays 5:30 PM – 8 PM and Saturdays 10 AM – 3 PM. The VITA Tax Office is located at 1509 Hancock Street in Quincy, MA on the 2nd floor. Call 617-657-5345 to make an appointment. If you need ADA accommodations, please call 617-657-5345.
Benefits of using VITA:
- QCAP can help you save expensive tax preparation fees.
- We offer tax preparation services during convenient evening and weekend hours.
- We provide tax preparation services in many languages. We offer volunteer tax preparers who speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese and many other languages.
- Last year, we helped 700 households file taxes, returning $1.3 million dollars in tax refunds back to the community.
In order to be seen, please bring:
- Unexpired government-issued photo ID
- Social Security card or document from Social Security Administration or IRS showing Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number for you, spouse and ALL dependents
- All W-2 and 1099 forms
- Proof of health insurance (1095 A/B/C, 1099 HC) if available
- A blank check if you want direct deposit
- Copies of 2017 income tax return
- Childcare expenses (if applicable)
- College expenses (if applicable)
- All 1098 forms including: mortgage interest, real estate taxes paid, student loan interest and college tuition
- If itemizing, please bring medical receipts, charitable contributions and excise tax bills. If you were 65 or older in 2018, bring water/sewer and property tax bills.
- If filing taxes on a married filing jointly return, both spouses must be present
We are not able to prepare the following tax returns:
- Tax returns for other states
- Tax years prior to 2018
- Active military personnel
- Landlords, Rental Property, Investment Property
- International students (students on VISA)
- Schedule K-1 income
- Business owners (will need to ask additional questions)