VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE
QCAP’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program provides free tax help for low-income individuals and families of all ages.
Services are offered by appointment or by walk-in (Thursdays 5:30 PM to 8 PM and Saturdays 10 AM – 3 PM) and will begin on Thursday, January 25, 2018. Upon arrival, you will be asked to complete an intake form. The VITA Tax Office is located at 1509 Hancock Street in Quincy, MA on the Fourth Floor. If you have any questions or need ADA accommodations, please call 617-657-5345 between 9 AM to 4:30 PM.
IMPORTANT: To file taxes on a married filing jointly return, BOTH spouses must be present.
In order to be seen, everyone must bring:
- Unexpired government-issued photo ID (If filing jointly, both spouses will need one)
- Social Security card or document from Social Security Administration or IRS showing Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number for you, spouse and ALL dependents
- Proof of medical insurance with tax forms (1095 A/B/C, 1099 HC) if available
- A blank check if you want direct deposit
- Copies of 2015 & 2016 income tax returns (highly recommended)
- All income records including: Form W-2s, 1099s
- Child care expenses
- College expenses
- All 1098 forms including: Mortgage interest, real estate taxes paid, student loan interest paid and college tuition
- Medical receipts, charitable contributions, excise tax bills (if you itemize) If you were 65 or older in 2017, bring water/sewer bills and property tax bills
Income limit: Your 2017 income must be less than $56,000, or you qualified for QCAP fuel assistance this season. The income limit is per return, so couples filing joint returns must have a combined income of $56,000 or less.
Residency requirement: You must be a full-year resident of Massachusetts.
We are NOT able to address the following situations:
- Tax returns for other states
- Tax years prior to 2017
- Active military personnel
- Landlords, Rental Property, Investment Property
- International students (students on VISA)
- Business owners
- Schedule K-1 income
- Some short sales, foreclosures or loan modifications ( will need to ask additional questions)