VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE
*Please see this page for up-to-date information on our programs and services during COVID-19.*
Free Tax Preparation for Low-Income Taxpayers
QCAP’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
QCAP provides free tax preparation for households that have a household income of less than $57,000 through IRS-certified volunteers who prepare taxes and identify tax credits that households may be eligible for such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Credit, and others. Utilizing the free tax preparation services allows families to retain their full refund, avoiding typical preparation fees which can often cost hundreds of dollars.
New for 2021: Virtual Free Tax Preparation
QCAP will be providing virtual tax preparation using an IRS-certified online system called Get Your Refund that allows clients to submit their documents from a smartphone or computer for 100% contact-free tax preparation.
To begin your taxes on our virtual system, please register on www.getyourrefund.org/qcap.
Please select the option “File Taxes with Help” when you begin the virtual process.
Please make sure that all photos and uploads of tax documents are clear and not blurry.
Please monitor your account for communication and information requests from our intake and tax preparation team. With timely communication, it generally takes around three weeks for a tax return to be completed and e-filed. If this timeline is too long for your needs, we can provide you with alternative options.
We thank you for your patience and understanding as we develop our first-ever Virtual VITA program! If you have questions, please leave a message on our tax line at 617-657-5345 and a QCAP representative will return your call. You can also email email@example.com.
To qualify for free tax preparation, clients must meet several criteria. The 2021 IRS requirements for VITA are posted below for your reference:
- Your 2020 household income must have been $57,000 or less, or you must have qualified for QCAP fuel assistance this season. The income limit is per return, so couples filing joint returns must have a combined income of $57,000 or less.
- You must be a full-time resident of Massachusetts.
Please be prepared to upload the following for the virtual tax sessions:
- A “selfie” of you holding a Government-issued photo ID (license, passport). Please make sure the picture is clear and not blurry.
- Social Security card or document from Social Security Administration or IRS showing Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number for you, spouse, and ALL dependents
- Proof of health insurance (1095 A/B/C, 1099 HC) if available
- All W-2 and 1099 forms
- Childcare expenses if applicable,(typically a letter from care provider)
- College expenses if applicable (Form 1098-T, student account statement, receipts)
- All 1098 forms including: mortgage interest, real estate taxes paid, student loan interest, and college tuition
- Bank account and routing number if electing direct deposit or debit
- If itemizing deductions, please upload: medical receipts, charitable contributions and excise tax bills
- If filing taxes on a married filing jointly return, both spouses must participate
- Copy of 2019 tax return if applicable
Benefits of using VITA:
- QCAP can help you save on expensive tax preparation fees
- QCAP offers tax preparation services during convenient evening and weekend hours
- QCAP provides tax preparation services in many languages. QCAP has VITA volunteers who speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish, Haitian Creole, Vietnamese, Hindi, French and other languages
QCAP is not able to prepare the following tax returns:
- Tax returns for other states
- Tax years prior to 2020
- Active military personnel
- Landlords, rental property, investment property
- International students (students on VISA)
- Business owners
- Schedule K-1 income
- Some short sales, foreclosure, or loan modifications