VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE
*Please see this page for up-to-date information on our programs and services during COVID-19.*
Free Tax Preparation for Low-Income Taxpayers
QCAP’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
QCAP provides free tax preparation for households that have a household income of less than $57,000 through IRS-certified volunteers who prepare taxes and identify tax credits that households may be eligible for such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Credit, and others. Utilizing the free tax preparation services allows families to retain their full refund, avoiding typical preparation fees which can often cost hundreds of dollars.
New for 2021: Virtual Free Tax Preparation
QCAP will be providing virtual tax preparation using an IRS-certified online system called Get Your Refund that allows clients to submit their documents from a smartphone or computer for 100% contact-free tax preparation.
Tax preparation will begin the first week of February. Check back for the link to begin your taxes and for more information about drop-off times for those unable to use the virtual option.
Please check this page for updates during the last week of January. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we develop our first-ever Virtual VITA program! If you have questions, please leave a message on our tax line at 617-657-5345 and a QCAP representative will return your call. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To qualify for free tax preparation, clients must meet several criteria. The 2021 IRS requirements for VITA are posted below for your reference:
- Your 2020 household income must have been $57,000 or less, or you must have qualified for QCAP fuel assistance this season. The income limit is per return, so couples filing joint returns must have a combined income of $57,000 or less.
- You must be a full-time resident of Massachusetts.
Please be prepared to provide:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Social Security card or document from Social Security Administration or IRS showing Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number for you, spouse, and ALL dependents
- Proof of health insurance (1095 A/B/C, 1099 HC) if available
- All W-2 and 1099 forms
- Childcare expenses if applicable,(typically a letter from care provider)
- College expenses if applicable (Form 1098-T, student account statement, receipts)
- All 1098 forms including: mortgage interest, real estate taxes paid, student loan interest, and college tuition
- Bank account and routing number if electing direct deposit or debit
- If itemizing deductions, please bring: medical receipts, charitable contributions and excise tax bills
- If filing taxes on a married filing jointly return, both spouses must participate
Benefits of using VITA:
- QCAP can help you save on expensive tax preparation fees
- QCAP offers tax preparation services during convenient evening and weekend hours
- QCAP provides tax preparation services in many languages. QCAP has VITA volunteers who speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish, Haitian Creole, Vietnamese, Hindi, French and other languages
QCAP is not able to prepare the following tax returns:
- Tax returns for other states
- Tax years prior to 2020
- Active military personnel
- Landlords, rental property, investment property
- International students (students on VISA)
- Business owners
- Schedule K-1 income
- Some short sales, foreclosure, or loan modifications