VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE
*Please see this page for up-to-date information on our programs and services during COVID-19.*
Free Tax Preparation for Low-Income Taxpayers
Through QCAP’s FREE Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, volunteers provide basic income tax preparation for low-income individuals and families.
The tax filing deadline of July 15, 2020 has passed and QCAP’s Free Tax Site services have ended for this tax year. We look forward to accepting tax clients again next tax season. We will begin scheduling appointments for the next tax season in January 2021. If you are a current or past client and have questions about your return, please call our tax line at 617-657-5345 or email email@example.com.
To qualify for free tax preparation, clients must meet several criteria. IRS requirements for VITA may change from year to year, but the 2020 tax season requirements are posted below for your reference:
- Your 2019 household income must have been $56,000 or less, or you must have qualified for QCAP fuel assistance this season. The income limit is per return, so couples filing joint returns must have a combined income of $56,000 or less.
- You must be a full-time resident of Massachusetts.
Please be prepared to provide:
- Unexpired government-issued photo ID
- Social Security card or document from Social Security Administration or IRS showing Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number for you, spouse, and ALL dependents
- Proof of health insurance (1095 A/B/C, 1099 HC) if available
- A blank check if you want direct deposit
- Copies of 2018 income tax return
- All W-2 and 1099 forms
- Childcare expenses if applicable
- College expenses if applicable
- All 1098 forms including: mortgage interest, real estate taxes paid, student loan interest, and college tuition
- If itemizing, please bring: medical receipts, charitable contributions and excise tax bills. If you were 65 or older in 2019, bring water/sewer and property tax bills.
- If filing taxes on a married filing jointly return, both spouses must be present
Benefits of using VITA:
- QCAP can help you save on expensive tax preparation fees
- QCAP offers tax preparation services during convenient evening and weekend hours
- QCAP provides tax preparation services in many languages. QCAP has VITA volunteers who speak Cantonese, Mandarin, Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, and other languages.
- Last year QCAP helped 771 households file taxes, returning $1.48 million in tax refunds back to the community
QCAP is not able to prepare the following tax returns:
- Tax returns for other states
- Tax years prior to 2019
- Active military personnel
- Landlords, rental property, investment property
- International students (students on VISA)
- Business owners
- Schedule K-1 income
- Some short sales, foreclosure, or loan modifications